2016: A YEAR OF GROWTH FOR LEXILAB
As the year draws to a close, the time has come to look back at what happened at LEXILAB in 2016!
It has been a positive year of growth, packed with interesting projects and wonderful new clients. We would like to share some of our achievements with you.
- Lots of new clients chose LEXILAB as their language services provider this year: our client base is up 20% on last year! These include businesses operating in the furniture and design sector, as well as manufacturers of construction machinery, machine tools and household appliances. We have even worked on educational and recreational board games, and on projects for vineyards and wineries.
- For the first time, English was not the most in-demand language this year; French knocked it off the top spot. Perhaps a side-effect of Brexit? We also received our first ever requests for translations into Tigrinya, Somali and Urdu – steps towards new frontiers.
- The language that really stands out for us this year though is Arabic. We saw requests treble! The gateway to the Middle East is well and truly open, a well-trodden path is forming, and we have worked to become experts in managing bi-directional languages.
- We successfully presented the first edition of our course “Traduzione: da che parte si comincia?”, aimed at young and aspiring translators, offering a wealth of information, tools, resources and advice for starting a career in translation.
- Our blog series [InDesign Essentials] has been a big hit, containing step-by-step guides on how to create manuals and price lists in InDesign that are optimised for translation.
- Finally, two exciting book projects stand our particularly from this year: the first in the form of a book about concrete, filled with engineering principles and formulas; the other uncovered the “handmade tales” of Maniago’s knife-making industry, oozing poetic style and imagery.
As we reflect on the year, we would also like to take the opportunity to say a big thank you to all of our translators, interpreters and colleagues for their constant support and dedication, and to our clients who continue to provide us with stimulating content every day.